Google pixel slate m3 is Google’s next chapter of Chrome OS after the search engine giant launched its pricey Chrome book: the Pixel book. The Pixel Slate (starting at 599 dollars, tested at 999 dollars) is a 12.3-inch tablet with an attachable keyboard (optional, 199 dollars).
Table of Contents Hide
Chrome OS has been updated to meet the challenge with new tricks, including natural writing recognition & interface features borrowed from Android. Moreover, the Pixel Slate packs a great screen and solid sound. Unfortunately, as much as Chrome OS is growing, some Android apps still don’t quite look right, and the Pixel Slate’s also got a couple of bugs that we hope to fix soon.
Specifications of device:
|Processor||Intel Core m3-8100Y 2 x 1.1 – 3.4 GHz, Amber Lake-Y|
|Graphics adapter||Intel UHD Graphics 615|
|Connections||Sensors: 3-axis Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor, Hall Effect Sensor, 2 USB-Cs for charging, 4K display output and quicker data transfer|
|Display||12.30 inch 3:2, 3000 x 2000 pixel 293 PPI, Capacitive, native pen support, 72% NTSC color; 400 nits, glossy: yes, detachable screen|
|Storage||64 GB eMMC Flash, 64 GB|
|Networking||(a/b/g/n = Wi-Fi 4/ac = Wi-Fi 5), Bluetooth 4.2|
|Size||7 x 290.9 x 202 (= 0.28 x 11.45 x 7.95 in)|
|Battery||45 Why, up to 2 hours in 20 minutes, Fast charging, Battery runtime (according to manufacturer): 10 h|
|Operating System||OS Google Chrome|
|Additional features||Keyboard, Chiclet, Power adapter & cable, Quick Start Guide, USB-C Charge Cable, 24 Months Warranty|
|Camera||The Primary Camera, 8 MPix ƒ/1.8 aperture, 1.12μm|
|Secondary Camera||8 MPix ƒ/1.9 aperture, 1.4μm|
|Weight||725 g (= 25.57 oz. / 1.6 pounds) (= 0 oz. / 0 pounds)|
Feature of Google Pixel Slate m3:
- The keyboard & pen are sold separately.
- Google Pixel Slate m3 is made to deliver portable performance, brilliant entertainment, & everything you love about Google for how you live & work today.
- 12.3-inch molecular display with 6 million pixels brings your favorite movies and videos to life. Tuned to perfection, the dual front-firing speakers deliver a premium audio experience.
- Get more done with powerful multitasking tools, including split-screen, multi-window browsing, and collaboration apps like sheets, goggle docs & slides.
- Pixel slate automatically updates in the background, so you will always have the latest features and security without any hassles.
- Staying connected is easier than ever with the duo cam’s wide-angle lens that keeps everyone in view and makes them look great, even in low light.
- Battery performance is based on video, web browsing, productivity and other use. Charging time requires the battery to be charged at least 5 per cent, the device to be inactive, and the included charger’s use. I Actual results may vary.
- Storage specifications refer to capacity before formatting; actual formatted capacity will be less.
- Full size backlit keyboard with ultra-quiet hush keys and an extra-large track pad to get more done. Plus, it’s infinitely adjustable for laptops, tablets, entertainment mode and more.
Google Pixel Slate m3 vs i5:
This Intel Celeron model is available with 4GB & 8GB RAM options, so it is possible paying 100 dollars more for twice the RAM might have helped with some of the lag issues. The Celeron model & points out that comparing a 599 dollars Pixel Slate to a 999 dollars Apple iPad is not an apples-to-apples comparison. While the Google pixel slate m3 vs i5 is being sold as a tablet, it is a Chrome book first, focusing on the full desktop version of the Google Chrome browser. At the same time, Apple has spent years refining the Apple iPad as a tablet first device with limited functionality as a desktop alternative. To perform the same things as Marques with multiple apps and Chrome tabs running, scrolling on the text and video-heavy web pages, and rotating between portrait and landscape.
Unfortunately, there is not any difference in performance between the m3 and i5 models, while both perform as fast as one would like and expect. I am not trying to convince anyone to buy a Pixel Slate over an iPad or Surface Pro device since we each have our own needs and desires. However, the Pixel Slate is nearly perfect for me and has performed like a champ since I started testing out the evaluation unit. I have no regrets about my Core m3 model and look forward to more extensive testing over the coming weeks and months.
Google Pixel Slate Core m3:
Google Pixel Slate m3 a work machine, the Pixel Slate reiterated one thing in my mind, Chrome OS currently only has one “workhorse” in the Lenovo C630. And having a capable chipset under the hood, the Pixel Slate m3 is best described as tolerable in the performance department. Most of my time with this machine was spent using it as a desktop replacement, often hooked up to a second monitor to get work done. The engine is the better part of a dozen tabs opened up, and the spottily web app constantly streaming tunes, the occasional use of an android app and two. Moreover, the machine holds up to this. Tabs rarely needed to be reloaded, but I often returned to a brief blank screen. Sometimes when filling pages, I also noticed spottily would randomly pause by playback. By comparison, the same workflow on the Pixel book, which also has 8GB, does not cause the same problems for me. More than likely, it is bottlenecking with the m3 chipset.
For lesser though, workflows, the Pixel Slate m3 performs brilliantly. The piece with just a handful of tabs open & no secondary monitor plugged in, and the machine handles it like a champ with no slowdowns to mention. The performance is more than adequate. I am still not a fan of Chrome OS without a keyboard and mouse, but the machine handled web browsing and android apps without much fuss. However, there were some dropped frames from time to time and still a slight lag when using features like multitasking & multi-window. Between the upgraded processor and the software improvements Google has made, the Google Pixel Slate m3 is capable as a tablet, and it’s still just not great.
Google Pixel Slate m3 Review:
- You could potentially spend close to two thousand dollars for the Google Pixel Slate m3 and its accessories at the highest end. Buying a proper Windows laptop or MacBook makes much more sense for that kind of money. Unless you highly value the convenience of having a detachable keyboard, ultra-portability, and an authentic tablet experience when you want it, the Google Pixel Slate m3 isn’t worth the premium.
- I am not trying to convince anyone to buy a Google Pixel Slate m3 over an iPad or Surface Pro device since we each have our own needs and desires. However, the Google Pixel Slate m3 is nearly perfect for me and has performed like a champ since I started testing out the evaluation unit. I have no regrets about my Core m3 model and look forward to more extensive testing over the coming weeks and months.
- Google Pixel Slate m3 screen diagonal is quite large for tablets but small for subnotebooks. Some convertibles are also represented with that size, and large display sizes allow for higher resolutions. So, details like letters are more significant. Power consumption is lower with small diagonals & the devices are smaller, more lightweight and cheaper.
- Extremely ULV-SoC (System-on-a-Chip) for tablets and finless notebooks based on the Amber Lake architecture, a Koby Lake chip produced in the improved 14nm+ process (no 14nm++) with higher clock speeds and 5 Watt TDP. Includes two CPU cores at 1.1-3.4 GHz with Hyper-Threading support and a graphics adapter.
Google Pixel Slate Chrome OS:
Google Pixel Slate m3 is an example of Chrome OS’s potential as a laptop, and the Google Pixel Slate m3 proves that Google’s experience in Android is great for a touch-based experience. In particular, the settings & notifications menu, opened by tapping the bubble with the time in the bottom right, has been overhauled to an astonishing degree. The pull-down menu settings in a Pixel phone & the system notifications also look like those from an Android device.
A new feature in Chrome OS is Google’s on-screen keyboard. Do not overlook the little squiggle at the top of the on-screen keyboard that you get in tablet mode: tapping on that opens up handwriting mode, which will allow you to type by handwriting letters with a finger or stylus. However, watching the converted text on the fly faster than Windows with its similar model was neat.
Google Pixel Slate Bluetooth Trouble:
The annoying issues when listening to music on the Pixel Slate with Bluetooth headphones and using it with a Bluetooth keyboard. First of all, my music kept dying. Specifically, my headphones’ connection with my Apple Air Pods and the Bose Quiet Comfort 35′ just dropped. Sometimes I’d have to repair the relationship manually, & once, the link fixed itself after a moment. So I have to reach out to Google to see if there’s a fix and update this review when one becomes available.
Rugi besar tak grab last 2 units Google Pixel Slate ni
RM 1350 sahaja
Tak payah usung laptop berat berat tu ke sana sini. Work from home dengan Zoom, Google Meet, Skype dengan bergaya. Connect dengan bluetooth keyboard dan inilah laptop anda
— Google Pixel Malaysia (@googlepixelmy) August 8, 2021
Sometimes, the Bluetooth setting in the options menu just disappeared. And Opening the Settings app does not help, as Bluetooth would not turn on there either. The only solution is to reboot the Pixel Slate. A Google representative told me, “We have received reports about intermittent Bluetooth issues with select headsets & are working on a fix as soon as possible. “And I expect the company to solve these issues soon, as they are not the kind of issue you should have on a tablet that starts at 599 dollars and costs up to 1,599 dollars. While these bugs were pretty surprising when Pixel phones did not exhibit this issue, Google’s Pixel C tablet did have Bluetooth issues related to its keyboard.
Google Pixel Slate m3 Bottom Line:
There is so much about the Google Pixel Slate m3 to love, including extended battery life, a comfortable keyboard, a beautiful screen and great sound. Unfortunately, this machine comes with a few asterisks, including notable bugs Google Pixel Slate m3 that Google should fix soon. However, it will take longer for Google Pixel Slate m3 to Google Play apps to feel like native tablet apps. If performance & battery life of Google Pixel Slate m3 are your top priorities, check out the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but realize that ios may not have everything you need to replace your current laptop, primarily if you use external storage or prefer a touchpad.
View this post on Instagram
If you like Windows, check out the Surface Pro 6, which costs $1,128 with a keyboard and pen. Right now, I’d say that the Pixel Slate feels like a device for the adventurous types who love Android and Chrome and are OK with some first-gen bugs. Once those issues were cleared, though, Google’s got an excellent 2-in-1.
Google Pixel Slate m3-and Google Pixel Slate Specifications